Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Fool Me Once...

So I learned something important about myself today. I'm really, really bad at haggling. So bad in fact, that I believe a merchant in Khan Al-Khalali felt so bad for ripping me off he gave me a bit of money back. That's a bad sign. Needless to say, I learned my lesson. Walking through market further, I was so upset with myself for wasting 25USD that I haggled with a small girl selling me a bottle of water. Perhaps I took it too far. I did get a damn good deal on that water though... 3 pounds for 1.5L... that's 50 cents.

Besides my adventures in the market, I had an interesting day. I went to the Egyptian Museum and saw more sarcophagi than one could possibly need to see in a single day. It was an unbelievable place though. It really gave me an appreciation of how old this culture really is and why Egyptians are so proud of their heritage. King Tut's funeral mask was definitely the highlight... I stared straight into the eyes of the mask and was blown away by the idea that the mask had been around for thousands of years. More than that, I was amazed by the sheer amount of stuff that was placed in the tombs to accompany the pharaohs into the afterlife. There were full wardrobes, hundreds of miniature statues of servants, funeral couches, and much more.

I also went through Coptic Cairo, where the old Christian sect resides. Saw a few beautiful churches and bought some cool old postcards.

Now I'm back at my hostel, debating on what to do for dinner. 2 meetings tomorrow, and then have to figure out what to do for the weekend (which is Friday/Saturday here).

Day 16/82
Current distance from New York JFK: same as before, give or take 5 meters.
Current mood: Hungry... ok, not a mood but whatever.
Current music: None, background noise is hostel people playing FIFA on the playstation.

No comments:

Post a Comment